Find my Products on Redbubble!

Wednesday 20 September 2017

That Moment When You Realise You're Doing Well

This is such a sappy post.

I am a sap.

But I'm not gushing about the love of my life (even though he is the BEST dude!) but instead it's about my business.

Silly Badger Designs is something I really didn't know if I could pull off but in typical me fashion I ran in, jumping in the deep end and loving the challenge... there wasn't a point at the beginning where I thought I couldn't do this.

Sure I've had moments where I've wondered why I'm doing this, what's the point, people don't really care about what comes out of my mind and then I'll see the orders I receive or I'll get a review that just gets me so choked up.

I love what I do. I love that I have this opportunity to splash some colour in to the world and to bring ratty joy to lots of people.

I can honestly say when I first started Silly Badger Designs there was no part of me that could have imagined what I've become. I didn't have a plan, I was winging it every second.
And that worked for me, it allowed me to see my strengths, to learn new skills, to hone old skills to grow.
I would never have imagined myself making rat products like I do, I never would've dreamed that I would be drawing peoples pet rats, giving them a memento of a dearly loved and lost pet, something that someone would treasure.

I never thought that possible.

And as I write this my printer is setting up ready to print out some new products, something that I'm making from scratch and I'm checking my Etsy stats and just seeing the massive jump I've made in stats and sales in just a year...
Unfortunately this year has been a financial struggle for us at times and making enough money has been a constant stress for me as a self employed person, I'm not complaining, this is life and we've been living together for just over a year, money being tight is just something that happens but it has taken my attention away from the improvements in my business.

Lately I've been looking at everything I do from the shop to the site, the images, the artwork, the packaging and I'm seeing such a huge improvement, I'm seeing myself learn and it makes me feel so warm and fuzzy now that I can take a step back and see the whole picture.

And you know what? It makes me want to jump with sheer joy!

I have the most amazing customers and commissioners who get me doing some incredible work, working with people who have lost pets or who just adore their pet and want to show it to the world.

I've been doing lots of gift commissions lately that I can't show for obvious reasons and there is a super new product coming very soon! A product I'm very excited about and can't wait to share.

So after my little sappy post I will leave it here and get back to work!

Thanks for reading and following my little adventure in to the illustration/creative world!

No comments:

Post a Comment